Race Report – Harrison Wood 9th in GHS National

The GHS final is the national 10 mile TT for juniors and juveniles The GHS final had been my main aim of the season ever since qualifying for the event. I travelled up the day before with mum. This allowing me to do a course recce and not having to worry about travelling up on the day. I did a recce upon arrival with Joe Saunders (fellow MDCC junior). There was a strong crosswind, with tail and head in places, the weather was due to change the next day. The recce allowed me to realise that there were some slight rises in places which needed to be hit hard to hold a good average speed. The night before the MDCC team met up for an evening of banter and food (mostly food). We all then headed to bed to rest up

The day of the race had arrived. I headed to HQ to get my number at 9 but wasn’t off until 1 so this allowed plenty of time to get prepped and ready. I headed to a lane near to the start and began my warm up. It was drizzling which was fine and the wind was still. This meant I could use the Tri spoke, which Andy Perkins lent me (many thanks Andy!) I headed to the start and began the 21 odd minutes of hell. The course had three roundabouts on. First one negotiated well, the second one I had to slow and the third saw me ending up in the outside lane due to being cut up by a car heading for some McDonalds.  I crossed the line in a 21.26 dead which saw me place 9th overall. A PB power by over 10 watts and a PB 10 TT time.. you cant ask for much more! Id like to thank Conrad my coach for getting me into shape for the event, Perky for the wheel, Simon from the shop for great advice and the parents for support.

Sundaty saw the MDCC 25 S4/25. After getting home from up north I span the legs. After a good Chinese takeaway (Team Sky often have the same), my legs began to recover. The next day I headed to the TT with Ian Cullen, the conditions very similar to the day before minus the rain. Number pinned I began a shorter warm up than normal due to already having “speed” in the legs. I began fairly steady as to test the legs and I was already in agony over the first rise.. I thought “hmmm this could be interesting” I remained constant to the turn and then began to push harder as the legs began to ease. I crossed the line in a 55.47, which I was pleased with considering this was my first ever 25 miler and the effort I had placed the day before had taken its toll. 1st junior and took home the middle marker award, I did however experience some pain throughout my whole body. FUN!

Similar Posts